We hope your visit with Dr. Geraci was pleasant and informative. Whether you saw the doctor for a simple problem or a serious medical condition, we understand that a visit to a neurologist can be very anxiety provoking. The following instructions are meant to help you stay informed, follow your prescribed medications and obtain results of your tests, if any, in the most efficient manner possible.
- If you have been prescribed medications, please follow the instructions on the label precisely. In many cases, medicines prescribed for you by a neurologist should not be stopped abruptly. So please contact Dr. Geraci before stopping any medicine he has prescribed for you. Some medications require monitoring of your blood counts or liver function and you may be required to come in for blood tests periodically. It is important that you keep those appointments.
- If you have been scheduled for an EMG (electromyography), please arrive promptly for your appointment as this test can take from 30 to 45 minutes to complete. You may eat on the day of your test but do not apply oils or lotions to your skin on the day of your test. EMG is a test of your nerves and muscles that involves mild electrical shocks to measure the health of your nerves and examination of the muscles with a thin needle. The test is only mildly uncomfortable and generally a very simple procedure for patients. If you take aspirin or coumadin (warfarin) on a daily basis, please inform the doctor prior to your EMG but DO NOT stop taking the medication.
- If you have been scheduled for an EEG (electroencephalography), please arrive promptly for your appointment as this test can take from 20 to 40 minutes to complete. Do not apply any hair product on the day of your test. EEG is a test of your brain wave activity and is painless.
- If you have been scheduled for a radiology procedure such as an MRI, our office will get insurance authorization for you and then inform you so that you may make your appointment at the facility of your choice. Authorization can take up to one week so please be patient. If the doctor feels that your test is urgent, he will expedite the insurance process. Once your test is complete, the doctor will call you with the results within three days and immediately if abnormal results dictate immediate therapy. If you have given us your email address, you may be informed of your results by email and advised on your next course of action or to come in for a follow up visit to discuss the results in more detail. Please call our office if you have not heard from us within three days after your test is complete.
- Our office phone lines are open for routine matters such as prescription refills and appointments at various times each day, Monday through Friday. During ALL others times the doctor is available through our answering service for urgent matters only. However, we encourage you to correspond with the office by clicking on "contact" on the navigation bar of our website. Emails are checked frequently throughout the day, even on weekends and holidays so you will receive prompt answers to your questions or refills of your medications.
- If you are a woman of childbearing potential, please remember to inform Dr. Geraci if at any time you become pregnant while taking his prescribed medications. Some medications are not safe during pregnancy and he will advise you accordingly.